Prenatal Teacher Training
Next Program Start Date TBA
We are delighted to offer an incredible Prenatal Teacher Training with the inimitable Shana Celnicker-Chong . The program is a comprehensive immersion for 200-Hour certified teachers and beyond that wish to glean skills and wisdom about how to serve this community.
Featuring 85+ hours of content and teaching practicum spread over five months, when you are finished you will feel confident and able to support your pregnant students physically, mentally and emotionally. Each year, we gather a rich program of students, teachers, educators and birth professionals to deepen your knowledge of yoga and pregnancy beyond the "do’s and don'ts" of prenatal yoga. Currently we are fully accredited through Yoga Alliance, though for political reasons that relationship will end at the end of 2018. Completion of the program will earn you the registration mark RPNT until that time, and after that, will be 85 hours of continuing ed to apply however you like.
In an effort to broaden the equity in the field of yoga, each program-cycle we will offer at least one Diversity Scholarship for a Person of Color to attend this program. We recognize that it is difficult to do the work of diversifying when some populations do not see themselves represented in the yoga practices, studios, and publications/media around them. Mothers need to see representation in their teachers, too.
We believe that there is a deep need for diverse voices to teach yoga in all communities. We are also committed to supporting and cultivating the people, language and approaches that most effectively communicate yoga teachings and informed community-building work. Please inquire here if you or someone you know are interested in these scholarships.
The community, business and teachers of The Bhaktishop are deeply invested in staff training, meaningful self-education, and building the knowledge, skill and human resource necessary to invest in a more equitable business model. We're creating conversations about race, inclusion, trauma-informed practices, and equity on a daily basis here, and aim to make use of these skills in a broader capacity in the yoga community.
Questions? Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with questions or comments. Class size will be extremely limited.
These dates are tentative and subject to change.
Generally meets one weekend per month on Friday 6-9pm, Saturday and Sunday 3-8pm, with visiting teachers and guest lecturers also TBA.
Topics covered include:
- Intro to Pregnancy, Birth and Prenatal Yoga Philosophy.
- Ethics and Mythology in pregnancy, birth and yoga, and the history and culture of birth in America (and Portland.)
- Normal and abnormal pregnancy, physical and emotional health of the mother, and common complaints and issues.
- Optimal fetal position, techniques in asana, alignment and beyond for optimal fetal position.
- Energetics of birth and the pelvic floor. Structural alignment, pelvic floor, core support, and anatomy.
- Practical applications of structural techniques within the flow of a yoga class.
- Practical Methodology, sequencing and a toolbox of templates for class structures.
- Caring for postpartum mothers, physically and emotionally, and how to use resources and referrals.
- Structural integrity of the postpartum body, and the Mama and Baby class.
- Ayurveda and post-partum self-care
Monicka Koneski, LMT
Danielle Hanna, Ayurveda and Pregnancy
Other Guest lecturers TBA
The cost for the program is $1595, and a $295 non-refundable deposit will hold your space. There is a small discount for cash/check payments up front. Class size is extremely limited, and payment plans are available. Scholarships available.
Applications are available by clicking the link above. Please note there is a $25 application fee.
There are a limited number of apprenticeships available after the program ends. Please talk to Shana individually at email@example.com about apprenticeship if you are interested.
For those in the 300-hour Advanced Study Program here at The Bhaktishop, you may use this program to satisfy hours in the following way: Asana: 20 hours, Anatomy: 25 hours, Methodology: 20 hours, Electives: 17 hours, Ayruveda 3 hours